I love...LOVE beets.
Actually, I love all root veggies.
And as a bonus, they are really good for you.
Last night I found my new favorite combo.
I matched up the beets with turnips, and sweet potatoes, and carrots.
I added a little garlic, onion, balsamic vinegar, thyme and salt n pepper.
We have a winner!
• 3-4 large carrots chunked
• 1 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
• 3 medium sized beets cut into 1 inch cubes
• 2 medium turnips cut into 1 inch cubes
• 3 cloves of garlic minced
• 3-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary chopped
• ½ tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
• ¼ cup butter or lard, melted or any cooking fat
• salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400f and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Clean all veggies, removing hard stems, blemishes, etc.
- In a large bowl add the carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips, and beets.
- Add the garlic, rosemary, and thyme, then pour over the melted butter or lard or fat of choice.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss well to coat.
- Spread the root vegetables over the foil lined baking sheet so they are in a single layer and place in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until tender and lightly caramelized on the outside, shaking the tray and tossing them around a couple of time to ensure even cooking.
NOTE: Optionally, you can broil them for about 3-4 minutes after they're done to get some extra caramelization on the outside of them.